Grade Appeal Form
Grade Appeal Policy:
A student who feels that the grade he/she received in a class is unfair has the right to appeal the grade. Grade appeals,
regardless of their nature, must be initiated no later than the four weeks after the final grade of record. All grade appeals
must be submitted in writing and accompanied by supporting documentation, including but not limited to syllabus, written
correspondences, and/or work samples. The grade appeal process is between 6- 8 weeks.
Instructions for filing the grade appeal
The student should obtain a Grade Appeal form from their Advisor or Office of the Division Head for the student’s major. A
Grade Appeal request must include ( 1 ) a letter explaining the exact nature and circumstances of the appeal, (2) any
supporting documentation to support the student’s claim and (3) the student’s signature, acknowledging that he/she has
read and understand the Grade Appeal Policy. Completed Grade Appeal packets are submitted to the Office of the
Division Head that houses the course for which the grade appeal is requested (ex: MAT 111 is housed in the Science and
Technology Division). Once the grade appeal is submitted, the student can no longer submit additional documentation for
review. The Office of the Division Head is responsible for giving the course instructor the grade appeal packet for review.
Review and Decision Procedures:
Course Instructor Level
1. The Instructor has 7 days from the date of notification to render decision on a grade appeal.
2. The instructor is to meet with the student to explain the decision.
a. If the student accepts the decision of the instructor the appeal process ends. A decision to grant
the grade appeal requires the Instructor to process a grade change form.
b. If the student does not accept the decision, the student must notify the Instructor in writing within
24 hours that they wish to have their appeal heard by the Division Head.
3. The instructor must note their decision, sign the grade appeal and submit the original packet along with
any written notification from the student to the Office of the Division Head.
Courses that fall under the Honors College, Academic Success or Experiential Learning and Career Development are
submitted to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs instead of the Academic Division Head.
The Associate Vice President will follow the procedures outlined below.
Academic Department Head or Dean Academic Support Services (HON and OAS courses)
1. The Department Head has 14 days from the date of notification to render a decision on a grade appeal.
a. A thorough investigation to review available records from the instructor and student is conducted.
2. The Department Head is to meet with the student to explain the decision, providing the student with a
written notification an official letterhead of the decision with a copy to the instructor.
a. If the student accepts the decision of the Department Head, the process ends. A decision to grant the
grade appeal requires the Instructor to process a grade change form.
b. If the student does not accept the decision, they must notify the Office of the Department Head within
24 hours that they wish to have their appeal heard by the University Grade Appeal Committee.
3. The Department Head submits the grade appeal packet, including written notifications from the student to
review the matter forward and written decision notification from the instructor to the Office of
Academic Affairs for review by the University Grade Appeal Committee.
Shaw University Grade Appeal Committee Level
1. The Grade Appeal Committee meets monthly as necessary to review grade appeals.
2. The Executive Assistant for Academic Affairs notifies the University Grade Appeal Committee of a
pending appeal packet within 48 hours of notification.
3. The Grade Appeal Committee has 5 days from the date of the meeting to render a decision along with
written justification to the Office of Academic Affairs.
4. All packets are returned to the Office of Academic Affairs for final review by the Vice President for
Vice President of Academic Affairs
1. The Vice President for Academic Affairs reviews the grade appeal and all supporting documents.
2. The Vice President of Academic Affairs renders the final decision in the case of a Grade Appeal.
3. The Vice President for Academic Affairs notifies the student, Instructor and Division Head of the final
decision. A decision to grant the grade appeal requires the Instructor to process a grade change forform.
4. The original grade appeal packet along with the committee report is returned to the Office of the
The Grade Appeal form can be found at https://www.shawu.edu/Registrar_Forms_Documents/.